As a man thinketh in his heart; so is he. Proverbs 23:7

"Rejoice in the Lord alway: [and] again I say, Rejoice.

Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord [is] at hand.
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things. " -Philippians 4:4-9


Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Two little oil sketches....6x9

OCT 3rd UPDATE: Often, clarity comes the next day. Funny how easily we are tricked into discouragement and tempted to feel defeated. On the Cennini Forum, the moderator, whom I've grown to trust in matters of art and artistic development made some observations that have in my view helped my psychologically. Rob suggested that as artists grow up the plateaus of learning, we are met on a precipice of fear. I will post a new blog and talk about artist temperament.

OCT 2nd UPDATE: Discouragement is not always bad, it makes one think and if your wise, face reality.

I'm painting over these sketches today and probably the roses too .... going to forgetaboutit and start all over with something else or a new approach entirely. Nothing lost here.

I did learn that I have not developed as much as I thought. It takes some effort to admit what every artist fears and be honest with yourself. I'd rather know it. That is me. I've always said, "This world doesn't need any more mediocrity in art and especially painting .... I don't want to add to or spend my time producing it." Maybe, I'll go to sculpting ... maybe there is some natural ability there I should explore...but for some reason...I love paint and I love drawing figures. I'm glad to know how trained artist see my work. So often you can't get honesty.

SEPT 30 UPDATE CENNINI: I'm getting some great responses on the forum.....this is what I wanted but it is a bit daunting to get honest critiques...and find out the truth from my friends and colleagues...I've made more mistakes than I thought.

ORIGINALLY POSTED:

These are two little sketches from a landscape workshop at Will Rogers Park...Next workshop is at Quartz Mountain....hope the trees are turning....Oct 9th.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like them - nice color. Jon

Does it matter? said...

Thanks Jon....I'm getting some good feedback from the Cennini Forum. Will probaby incorporate some changes to improve the composition....I do appreciate you taking the time to comment.

JonInFrance said...

What size are they? Oil on canvas?
Did you do them plein air or from reference? Jon

Does it matter? said...

Jon...these 12 little sketches 9x12 on canvas board started in plein air and taken to the studio...working from reference photos. Oil paint ... wonderful Studio Products Oils...the landscape set of 4 tubes and augmenting with 4 Rembrandt tubes following a landscape artist whom I trust.

I'm considering a few changes...the sketches are still in progress although some artists are suggesting that they are complete and I should stop.

I'm giving it a day or so to think more about what to do or not do.