As a man thinketh in his heart; so is he. Proverbs 23:7

"Rejoice in the Lord alway: [and] again I say, Rejoice.

Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord [is] at hand.
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things. " -Philippians 4:4-9


Sunday, January 23, 2011

Oh NO!!!!! not Notan

Always learning. I posted my Notan exercises on Cennini Form and was told to burn the book NOTAN the Dark-Light Principle of Design as a heretical book.

In fact here is the Moderator's post to me regarding this book:
"Patti, none are remotely related to notan. If that's in the book, it is among the plethora of misleading books available to sap away any possibility of artistic knowledge. It does real damage...as all bad ideas will do.

If you have a fire going, this should be used for tinder because it's so off-target that it's doing real, lasting damage. Excuse my passion but this is why I came out of my secure and profitable studio -- to teach... and not just to impart workable knowledge, but to to absolutely destroy, in no nice terms, the charlatans and hucksters who are drawn to this field and feel capable of teaching. The intent is identical to those creeps who lure children into cars.

This sort of misdirection makes me very angry. It's doing real harm. My advice to you is to never think about notan again. Just concentrate on your figure drawing and painting as you were before. The advice in that book will undo any advances you have already made.

Burn it now! You have let a pestilence into your house." -- Rob Howard, Moderator Cennini Forum

I stand corrected. Back to drawing my index cards. Frustrating for I thought these exercises would truly help me.

My apologies to my readers and followers. Live and learn. I trust Rob's judgment. -- Patti

7 comments:

Eugene said...

I'd ask for evidence and reasons from Rob as to why it contains "misleading, charlatan, huckster and misdirection" before I'd burn it.

As Rob advocates, dont blindly follow people, no matter how much of an expert they claim to be.

Does it matter? said...

Eugene,
I did ask Rob to explain. I have to say I'm kind of befuddled.

[Originally Posted by PADURRETT View Post] Okay...so what is it? Just optical illusion and pseudo psychiatry and power of suggestion?
Patti

Rob responds: It's Bull, plain and simple

In the study of art, the thing to always be on lookout for are the use of scientific-sounding terms. The technical parts of art are almost dead simple. Really, unless you are disabled and cannot see or use your hands...ANYONE CAN BE TAUGHT TO DRAW AND PAINT...ANYONE.

Yeah, yeah, I can hear it now but you'll agree that ANYONE can be taught to read and write. ANYONE can learn to play a musical instrument. ANYONE can learn to dance well enough for their daughter's wedding. ANYONE can learn to use the computer well enough to get emails and surf the web. So what's the block about drawing and painting?

Little English villages used to bring in young people and train them to flawlessly paint decorations and scenes on ceramics. They didn't have a huge labor pool to draw from yet they were able to train marvelous craftsmen. So what's the problem with today's human?

Their heads are full of BS, that's the problem. They think of that sublime aspect of art...the almost spiritual aspect and don't realize that that's another thing entirely. We're just talking about simple nuts and bolts here.

You over-complicated this by not sticking with the program. You chose to modify it before knowing enough to make the correct choices and, as a result, you bought into a course of instruction that was destructive BS. The problem is, you can't un-see it. This junk is stuck in your head like a bad tune and it won't go away until it's forced out.

For now, I'd back off from notan and go back to your previous studies of drawing and painting. We'll talk about composition, intent, content and other advanced things once the contagion of this book has faded. But for now, it's going to take some airing out. [end]

Honestly, I'm stunned and don't know what to think. I'd like to hear what you think Eugene.

Eugene said...

Rob said nothing in 6 paragraphs...all he did was repeat the first line without says why it is destructive BS.

You know how to draw/paint well enough dont you, so how is this causing a block or being destructive to what you already know? Or does your drawing skill have to be so good that you can draw a perfect likeness while blindfolded, hanging upside down with your hands bound behind your back before you are ready? lol

I dont see how his anecdote has anything to do with the subject in hand. How is it relevant?

It sounded like there is some merit to Notan but for some unstated reason he doesnt think you have done enough practice (developed high enough skill level?) in drawing yet to move on to that.


I know Rob is very focused on the "craft" and technical side of drawing and painting and has little time for "psychology/psychiatry" and all the touchy feely side of painting. It might be why he said he is having trouble "finding his own voice" in that thread. Sure he can do commissions and paint anything he is told to paint...but when it comes to him coming up with his own ideas he said he struggles. Which might explain his dismissive nature.

Oh and Hi Rob if you are reading this, I'd say the same thing at SP if I could post there. :-)

Does it matter? said...

Eugene,
I don't think Rob ever has visited my blog and even if he does, I try never to say anything here that I wouldn't say to anyone face to face.

Honestly, I don't think Rob has a very high opinion of my art and that is okay. He doesn't appear to think that I am very capable for apparently Notan concepts are too deep for me to grasp. That is what I take from his comments.

Actually, after seeing his examples of NOTAN on the forum, all they are are adapting a compositional shape and then building a painting around that from the imagination. For example, a pyramid shape in composition always creates STABILITY. Place lights to strengthen that and direct the eye to the focal point.

Another Cennini artist LCG, bought the book and she sent me a private message that the exercises are basic studies in abstraction ... which is exactly what I thought the book was about but Rob is thinking of NOTAN more as a layout device to control composition from the get go.

I agree with you, the idea of brainwashing seems a bit over the top.

Also, I challenge Rob's thinking regarding religion and he may have developed a dislike for me. No one likes to be challenged but I have to answer him when God puts it on my heart to do so, and I am concerned about Rob's spiritual relationship with the Lord. I share the hope that is in me and leave the rest up to the Lord.

I learned when training graphic artists that the young artist who set aside his ego and remained a "student" advanced. So I keep myself teachable on the forum but I have very much my own mind.

Thank you Eugene for commenting. I appreciate and value your opinion.

JonInFrance said...

Yeah, well, I'll stay out of the debate. What I do know is that the NOTANstudies for the Samaritan women at the well were really good - it would be a pity not to develop them - and, above all, the fact that you came upwith them shows something about where you are at - keep trucking, Patti!

Does it matter? said...

Jon,

I'm going to keep going on this until I have painted this subject. I think what is happening is I am finding my own voice. Through doing these index card compositions, I am discovering that under the surface of one good idea, there is a wealth of more ideas ... even better ideas. I kept saying to myself, what is the focus and what do I want to say?

In the days ahead, I return to sketching the cards and see where this takes me.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Eugene said...

Hi Patti

Since the relevant thread made it onto the public section I was able to read Robs posts in context. I dont think he was bagging the whole book at all. From what I gathered, those images you posted from the book were not Notan but more interior decoration patterns. I can see how Rob would get annoyed as they are not at all like the "real" Notan exercise he was getting you to do.

Oh and I agree with Kurt...you shouldnt be ripping up those "failed" 5x7 cards.