As a man thinketh in his heart; so is he. Proverbs 23:7

"Rejoice in the Lord alway: [and] again I say, Rejoice.

Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord [is] at hand.
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things. " -Philippians 4:4-9


Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Self Portrait - Conte Crayon on Strathmore Paper


UPDATE #2: According to Cennini pros...this is a badly off...it stinks. I feared that would be the case. Now I'm embarrassed and a bit discouraged...again...but that is how you grow is it not? It's hard work taking the criticism to heart and starting over. Glad I had the guts to post it.

Please take the poll - top right of the page.
Should I post this on Cennini self portrait thread?

Will I embarrass myself and should try again? I can't do a self portrait without looking severe because I am concentrating so hard and I can't photograph it so that it matches the drawing and that makes it worse. The strokes are much more subtle than it appears.

UPDATE #1: I posted this on Cennini with great reservations. Thanks Susan for encouraging me to do so ... I am always questioning myself wondering if I can't "see" how bad or amateurish my art is. (:O o) Most people don't respond at all to my art, and so I can only think it is not so good. If they do respond they are usually displaying reserved politeness ... kind of like "Oh that is so interesting. Oh that's good." (What does that mean? I'm thinking they really can't find anything to say ... not wanting to hurt my feelings.)

I won't think of exhibiting my art until I get better and I'm become more confident. If my work is good or if my work is amateurish I need to know ... regardless of the pronouncement it won't stop me from trying to improve myself. Obviously, I am insecure of my judgment and that is a first for me. This fine art level of art is throwing me for a loop.



7 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Patti,
I think you are getting better and better! I like your self portrait and you should post it on Cennini- there is no better place to get good advice.

Anonymous said...

I doubt all the comments were that bad or all negative. I'd like to see what they actually wrote.

Sure it isnt to Rob's or others competence, have you been a paid pro for 50 years like Rob has? Dont be so harsh on yourself.

It is what it is. A start, a step, a beginning, a learning experience, an enjoyable hour, a completed drawing!(mark 1 off the "to do" list!), etc etc. It most certainly isnt an embarrassment or a waste or trash!

I won't think of exhibiting my art until I get better and I'm become more confident. If my work is good or if my work is amateurish I need to know ... regardless of the pronouncement it won't stop me from trying to improve myself. Obviously, I am insecure of my judgment and that is a first for me. This fine art level of art is throwing me for a loop.

You wont be confident until you start acting more confident...and you wont know if others identify(note I didnt say "think its good") with your art until you get it out there. Just look at what goes on at the Ceninni forum, Rob rubbishes what others praise as genius, and so it goes around and round.

Dont invest so much energy on negativity and self doubt!

Eugene

Does it matter? said...

Eugene,

I never seemed to get it all together in one piece of art ...the following are all excellent critiques.

Cennini members are all encouraging me to keep going. Obviously my stuff is practice with way too much wrong with it to keep it out of the trash.

Cennini Critiques:

MY POSTED COMMENT w/upload image: "I am not photogenic because I am too self conscious and too conscious of the camera. It is not surprising that every self-portrait seems to capture the serious and analytical side of my personality and I want the other side, lighter side of me to come out once in a while. It may be because I am concentrating so hard when I am drawing. I decided to have this one looking down (at the black mirror on the floor) to try and improve my appearance; now I'm thinking I look snooty. I guess the likeness is a fair attempt. What do you all think? Patti"

LESLIE SAID: "Patti, it looks like you moved around when you were drawing and you have several different perspectives going (most noticeable with the nose). Having said that, I can also see that you are on fire to learn and that you are growing and improving very rapidly! I see more confidence in the way you are drawing. Self-portraits are challenging and it's hard not to scowl and look serious because it takes a lot of concentration. Keep going, I think you are close to a big breakthrough."

Linda said: "Patti, you don't look snooty and I recognize you. What might be helpful are the "generic" draw throughs common to us all. Start with your horizontals all parallel and the risers hitting their mark... we know that the eyes, base of the nostrils and line of the mouth should all be parallel and hit a certain mark with the ears. Those lines/marks can add a charm to the finished sketch, too. Big picture first, then details.
If you can, have the mirror at eye level. An ironing board can be used as an adjustable stand."

Rob said: "Patti, it has a certain, what the French call jolie-laide. The advice you've received thus far has been good. Most important is not moving when you look in the mirror. Never change your station point."

Anonymous said...

wow I wasnt expect such glowing posts from what you wrote, cant see "you stink" anywhere in there! :-)

If you trash everything you will not be able to look at your previous work and see how far you have come.

Do you go to exhibitions of famous artists and want to see their early work? I want to see that all the time, encourages me to see they started at the same place I did and had the same struggles.

Have a look at Van Gogh's early drawings. Like this one.
http://bos.typepad.com/carpenter.jpg

Arent you glad we have this to see how far he came?

In my mind trashing everything we dont like is a form of running away. If you have no reference, then you can always say you are no good and havent improved. lol

Eugene

Does it matter? said...

Eugene,

Wow. I can't believe Van Gogh's kept that drawing. I'm truly stunned.

You have a point though.

You thought those were "glowing" critiques? I didn't get that message. The message I got is the drawing was terribly off.

I have always been a perfectionist and ambitious and tend to beat myself up quite a bit. I know this and have tried to balance that out but when it comes to critiques from people I respect...that's another matter.

The fact that I uploaded that image knowing it wasn't perfect is a big deal for me. I would never have done that in the past.

Maybe I can't handle criticism in a balance way.

Thanks Eugene...you are helping me balance my thinking out.

Anonymous said...

Glowing from what I expected. From the way you put it I was expecting them to tear strips off you and then proceed to beat you with them. lol

Those comments came across as those any good teacher would say leaning over your shoulder, "that's not quite right, how about adjusting soandso"...or how about if your son said a meal "could do with a touch more Thyme and Salt"...would you think your meal stunk and needed to be trashed?


I guess you missed this comment by Leslie "I can also see that you are on fire to learn and that you are growing and improving very rapidly! I see more confidence in the way you are drawing.

Eugene

Does it matter? said...

Eugene,
So you are saying mine was an over reaction. Hum.

I have this perfectionist drive problem that is tied to an over blown ego. The years have mellowed me a bit (thank God) but it's still an issue sometimes. Ego is probably the root problem of my over reactions. Hum.

Eugene, I wish you were back on Cennini forum for you would add another voice of good advice.

You don't know how much I appreciate you for taking your time here to help me get my thinking straightened out.