As a man thinketh in his heart; so is he. Proverbs 23:7

"Rejoice in the Lord alway: [and] again I say, Rejoice.

Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord [is] at hand.
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things. " -Philippians 4:4-9


Thursday, January 1, 2009

Welcome 2009



Ring Out, Wild Bells

from In Memoriam A.H.H.
by Alfred, Lord Tennyson (1849)

Ring out, wild bells, to the wild sky,
The flying cloud, the frosty light;
The year is dying in the night;
Ring out, wild bells, and let him die.

Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.

Ring out the grief that saps the mind,
For those that here we see no more,
Ring out the feud of rich and poor,
Ring in redress to all mankind.

Ring out a slowly dying cause,
And ancient forms of party strife;
Ring in the nobler modes of life,
With sweeter manners, purer laws.

Ring out the want, the care the sin,
The faithless coldness of the times;
Ring out, ring out my mournful rhymes,
But ring the fuller minstrel in.

Ring out false pride in place and blood,
The civic slander and the spite;
Ring in the love of truth and right,
Ring in the common love of good.

Ring out old shapes of foul disease,
Ring out the narrowing lust of gold;
Ring out the thousand wars of old,
Ring in the thousand years of peace.

Ring in the valiant man and free,
The larger heart, the kindlier hand;
Ring out the darkness of the land,
Ring in the Christ that is to be.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Patti.

Praying 2009 will be filled with Joyous Painting and Creative Endeavours, irrespective of the "results"! :-)

Eugene

Does it matter? said...

Eugene,
Today I am going to straighten up my studio. It has been a month and two weeks since I have done any art. Tuesday I will go to life drawing and draw. Monday I will do a one hour painting. That is my goal.

I am feeling anxious...but that is only a feeling.

Happy New Year to you...and I hope it will productive for both of us.

Does it matter? said...

It is not even the second week of January and I am not able to complete any of my goals for Monday.

How do I do art when my family who have many needs look to me to fulfill them?

What makes this even more frustrating is my Monday was ruined needlessly. I was asked to do something for my sister/brother-in-law; and when I came to them to complete it, they both backed out. Granted, it involved an attorney and a very serious decision but neither one of them are able to understand why I was angry.

Today is Tuesday and the only day in this week that I could possibly have to create art. I feel like my back is to the wall. :-( Fortunately, I have life drawing tonight. :-) This happens all the time. Maybe for me a studio away from home would increase my productivity...but that is impossible.

I feel down but I will read the blog header and remind myself to commit my day to the Lord. After all people and relationships is the most important and lasting thing in life...maybe next week.

Does it matter? said...

oops "relationships are"

Anonymous said...

How do I do art when my family who have many needs look to me to fulfill them?

Sounds like a question you need to post at the forum on Barbara Sher's website. There are people with lots of good advice there.

http://www.barbarasher.com/boards/

Putting other people first and not doing the things you want is a classic avoidance technique. Barbara has written some great books, check out her site http://www.barbarasher.com

Having a Support Team with good advice is sure to help you do the things you love.

Eugene

ps...my start to the year has been a spectacular failure too. lol

Anonymous said...

Oh and another Author you might try reading is Julia Cameron. She has a strange mix of Spiritualism/Christianity/Mysticism/New Age/etc in her books. She has some weird ideas but also some good insights into Creativity, if you can look past those...

Some titles you might like to read are "The Artist's Way", "Walking in This World" and "The Sound of Paper"...something in them might trigger a break through.

Eugene