As a man thinketh in his heart; so is he. Proverbs 23:7

"Rejoice in the Lord alway: [and] again I say, Rejoice.

Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord [is] at hand.
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things. " -Philippians 4:4-9


Monday, October 4, 2010

Roses Update

2 comments:

JonInFrance said...

It's very good - and so are the sculptures! - you seem to be on a roll! I don't know how you manage to get so much done - maybe it would be a good idea to do a succession of paintings. My problem at the moment is I can't seem to find any subjects that inspire me (ridiculous, I know)

Does it matter? said...

Jon...on inspiration.

Brainstorm with yourself. One idea leads to another. I am always looking for something to paint around me where ever I go. I've done this for so long, I'm getting so many good ideas now, I need to write them down because there are so many.

Your subconscious will work on this if you just continue to think..."what can I paint?"

I wouldn't let the lack of inspiration stop me from painting though. Go through your things in your home and find an object...doesn't matter put a light on it, mix up some values, throw a canvas on the easel ... and just paint it.

Be fascinated with what you see in the ordinary....even something very mundane and the artist in you will find something interesting then be sure to bring that out.

I know an artist who took his dog's rag play toy and painted it. It was a terrific painting would you believe?

Ruskin, one of my favorite art critiques of the past opened my eyes to this. He said, "all art is praise". You can praise good or evil, the beautiful or ugliness...regardless what you are doing is .... you are praising the object before you AS AN ARTIST and helping the viewer see what you see. Artists see differently than the rest of the world.

I'm presently painting a copper teapot. I was careful to light it for drama. I'm careful also to paint that tea pot in it's most beautiful pose and lighted it to reflect it's beautiful patina and reflections. I chose a cobalt blue ... almost black shiny place mat to set it on (orange's compliment) so that the copper reflects on it and the blue will cause the color to be vibrant. I made sure that it was convincingly drawn. What I want the viewer to see is the glory of a copper teapot and why humans love copper and objects like this. In other words...I'm praising it.