As a man thinketh in his heart; so is he. Proverbs 23:7

"Rejoice in the Lord alway: [and] again I say, Rejoice.

Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord [is] at hand.
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things. " -Philippians 4:4-9


Thursday, October 7, 2010

Off To Paint Landscapes at Quartz Mountain...



UPDATE: Here is a little color study, a sketch which is one of two I did at Quartz Mountain yesterday (Oct 10th).

I was sitting in the sand on a sandy beach with the mountain in the distance. This image is very difficult to show on-line because up close the sketch is nothing....but the further back from it....it comes together. Therefore, the smaller image "reads".

I determined to follow exactly Rick McClure's instructions from his demo on my first sketch but never got up from my chair before the easel to view it from a distance. I just plugged along for the 2 hour session blocking in and working as fast as I could and never viewed this from any distance.

To my surprise, the instructor came up behind me and announced that he wanted to include my sketch in his critique session which was scheduled at the end of the day.


I thought nothing about except he wanted to maybe show how the work needed to be improved which is fine with me. He presented it at the end of the critiquing session ... about 9 other sketches with mine being presented toward the end.

Rick's method of critique was very instructive, asking the group, "what is good about this sketch and also how could it be improved" .... going from painting to painting. It was instructive. I didn't feel anxious about mine but prepared myself for possible constructive negativity.


Then he presented mine and said, "this is really a good painting and there is so much right about it and the brush work can't be taught it is just something you innately have ...." asking the 20 artists attending, what was right about it. I was shocked and started feeling really a bit embarrassed because I had not expected this. The artists gave some wonderful positive feedback. Then Rick said, "there in nothing wrong with it at this stage .... a few minor things." I was truly stunned.

Am I a landscape artist? That is the journey I'm on to find out by taking these workshops. Could it be I have some natural ability in this direction I never knew I had?

The looseness required in painting fast under the gun in plein air painting was good discipline. A brevity of strokes that often is missing from studio painting is interesting in itself.

The day was a bit warm at 84° and hardly a breeze, and sand wanting to create some havoc with my gear and walking, all in all this was a melodious spot but I dreaded lugging the gear back and forth, setting up and tearing down and stowing ... but oddly enough it did not take away the harmony of my day. It was a pleasant experience except when I had a tumble from the a step at the top of a ramp landing into unstable sand .... and fell into a rather large bolder with my hands full of gear. Oddly enough as I began to fall thinking, "wow I'm going to be badly hurt" and surprised I did not hurt anywhere (except my pride) with just a little bruise on my forearm appearing a few hours later. I'm fine and feel I had a few angels present. :O}.....

Being outdoors was surprisingly refreshing and I found myself reminiscing about my childhood; a time when I was out doors every single day playing as a kid that I rarely thinking of but should for I had a happy childhood.
Maybe I will blog about that more or even paint a series on those days. Hum...is that inspiriation.

Good feeling.

**********************************************
ORIGINAL POST:
For the next two days I'll be on location outside painting with a good artist friend.

This time, I think having worked on the little sketches (see previous posts), I feel more confident and in control especially of my palette. The trees are just beginning to turn golden fall colors and it is cool and lovely even chilly in the morning.

My friend and I will paint on our own the first day and be in the workshop the next day.
I'll update when I get back.

7 comments:

Does it matter? said...

There is no link Steve....

Solid Rock or Sinking Sand said...

I really enjoyed reading the posts on your blog. I would like to invite you to come on over to my blog and check it out. God bless, Lloyd

Does it matter? said...

Lloyd...I need a link or an address to view your blog....

JonInFrance said...

It is nice! You seem to be really "breaking through" with your art. To see their/our blogs - click on their/our names to see the profiles - the blogs are linked from there. I got a crit. from Stape Kearns - woo hoo!

Does it matter? said...

Jon,

Thanks for letting me know how to locate blogs from those who comment.

Is the Stape Kearns critique on your blog?

Patti

Anonymous said...

Nope (wink) - it's on his blog!

So pleased - he really is a great guy.
BY the way, I think the subject of your painting - mountains + water is a great combination. Jon

Does it matter? said...

Jon...I checked the critique. Interesting how he sees things.

I want you to look at my next post which will provide a way for you to evaluate your own painting....see it with different eyes. I'm not sure I agree with Kearns entirely (HUH? Should I dare?).