As a man thinketh in his heart; so is he. Proverbs 23:7

"Rejoice in the Lord alway: [and] again I say, Rejoice.

Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord [is] at hand.
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things. " -Philippians 4:4-9


Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Pentel Color Brush Pen


I'm employing a new tool for figure drawing practice. Here are my early attempts.

How does one place in mid tone values with this medium...hum. Maybe I should just leave them out.

Can't make any mistakes . . . not very forgiving but not too bad so far. The next drawings are getting better and you can see that I'm beginning to figure out the brush ... the absorption of the paper is a bit tricky.

Now this drawing looks so pin up-ish (ugh)...but I'm beginning to get the feel for the brush.



Drew this pose twice...

I'm working on expressive strokes. The object of this work is to draw precisely, keeping the figure in balance, in proportion and showing movement ... what the figure is doing.






I know these look rather cartooned but that is not important right now . . . I'm learning something . . . I'm not concentrating on beautiful faces or aesthetics per se. I don't want to draw in a formulaic way . . . so I have to be careful here. This is more to help my eyes and brain see and increase the simplicity and structure of forms . . . I am understanding better the power of thin/thickness of strokes appropriately placed. I'm learning to see into the blankness of the paper first before drawing the stroke and "SEEING" where and what to drawn in my mind first and "SEEING" what to leave out. There is a place to for a heavier line and edges are still important even in high contrast drawing . . . . Seeing bigger and bigger shapes which is extremely exciting. I feel like I am gaining tools . . . physical human tools to put in my artistic tool box.

Soon I will see what this will do on canvas with a brush. Very encouraged my hard work is finally paying off. . .













These are my first effort using a Pentel® Color Brush Pen ... Sepa, black/gray, and a water brush (I haven't incorporated that yet).

1 comment:

JonInFrance said...

Hi Patti. Interesting work - brush pen sounds fun! I'm off on holiday for a good while - so 'bon courage'! - and 'later'. God bless. Jon