As a man thinketh in his heart; so is he. Proverbs 23:7

"Rejoice in the Lord alway: [and] again I say, Rejoice.

Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord [is] at hand.
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things. " -Philippians 4:4-9


Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Composition Notan Woman at the well

2-13-11 UPDATE:
It would be so interesting and helpful if those who view this blog pick the composition that you feel is the best and strongest. I have numbered the cards (click to see number) and invite your selection and comment if you wish. I'm in the process of deciding for myself and will post the steps that follow to the final painting.




Here are some of my Notan index cards. I finally get it . . . and wonder why this was made more difficult to understand than it is. That said, what I've learned is never to take the first idea for a composition that pops into one's head. I found so many more ways to say what I want to say. The exercise exploded my imagination and I soon began placing myself mentally into my imagination. This is definitely an exercise routine that will be used in designing ... yes DESIGNING ... any future paintings.

Samaritan Woman At the Well - John 4:4

3 comments:

JonInFrance said...

OK! very nice! - but which one to choose to develop? - and - can you keep the graphic power when there's more than two values? Hope you do a painting of it - but it would be a challenge and time-consuming! They are very nice - it's sure it"s a ggod idea... Jon

Does it matter? said...

I will choose one and my plan is to take it step by step to finish. I have to say, I got so many good ideas and images that i could use, there might be more than one painting in this.

I feel directed and led. These are so much better than I thought I could do.

Unfortunately, my husband fell two days ago on some black ice and broke both the tibula and fibula and ankle. We are heading for surgery Monday ... plates and screws and 6 to 8 weeks on crutches.

I've received encouragement from another artist friend who reminded me that Rembrandt created some of his best work within impossible circumstances. Not that I am all that an exceptional artist, but the point is sometimes it is the height of difficulty with the pressure being applied that we soar above our ability.

Prosperity rarely creates much character or excellence...I'm thinking.

So I accept the challenge.

JonInFrance said...

Hi Patti, the choice is a bit vast - if you'd narrowed it down to two/three ideas - only you can usualize what the finished paintingmight look like - I noticed the following in particular 9, 14, 16, 18, 32, 37, 40 - if it's meant to 'illustrate' ther narrative the crucial moment has to be = Jesus +the woman + the well... Bon courage! Jon