As a man thinketh in his heart; so is he. Proverbs 23:7

"Rejoice in the Lord alway: [and] again I say, Rejoice.

Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord [is] at hand.
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things. " -Philippians 4:4-9


Monday, June 6, 2011

Watercolor study #1


This is a study . . . to learn to control watercolor. In this case, the secret is controlling the water first, the color and then edges.

4 comments:

JonInFrance said...

How long have you been doing this to get this good, Patti?

Does it matter? said...

Jon,

I'm taken back by your comment...

My view is it takes as long as you refuse to fall in love with yourself and your art ... and keep pressing toward artistic aesthetic beauty. I keep pressing for the mark.

I'm not settling for just a good likeness; I want more...I want the person ... living an breathing. I'm not there yet.

What has happen recently is that I have been knuckling down on the figure and because of that drawing skill getting better my handling of paint and control of water, color, edges are beginning to click. I'm not worrying about the drawing now .... so I can concentrate on what the water is doing. I'm seeing very large shapes and less focus on detail. I'm feeling the structure when I paint.

Drawing is the key to great painting.

JonInFrance said...

Opps, sorry Patti, I didn't mean it to sound like that - I really just wanted to know if you've been working seriously at it for 5, 10 or 20 years - it's not necessarily commensurate with your mastery รจ but I thought "wow, to be that good (and in so many differnet media), she must have been doing this for a long time....

It's so very good - in the best way

Does it matter? said...

Jon,

I didn't take your comment in a negative way at all. I don't feel I've mastered anything and that is why I started studying seriously about four years ago.

Drawing skill is one important key to painting well...so I'm on a focused path to get the skill I need...and I'm certain this is working for me. This focused work has taken three years to get the success I'm beginning to have. It's been hard work and I've just stuck with it through the frustration of learning. I have had a very good instructor too.

I've been an artist since I was a kid ... so the answer yes, I've been painting and drawing a long long time.

This I am certain of....An artist has to practice and gain skills ... put in the "dues" ... just like a pianist has to practice scales in order to play fast effortlessly, we must master drawing first to effortlessly master painting. No other way to get there for me.

I try to draw the figure everyday and have a sketch book with me at all times. I draw what ever is in front of me.

This is finally beginning to pay off.

Patti