As a man thinketh in his heart; so is he. Proverbs 23:7

"Rejoice in the Lord alway: [and] again I say, Rejoice.

Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord [is] at hand.
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things. " -Philippians 4:4-9


Thursday, October 4, 2007

Beloved Poppie



After Lesson #76 learning to draw the skeleton from memory, I sketched this of pop (my dad who passed away 10 years ago this September) ...drawn from a formal portrait that was done for my parent's 50th anniversary. It surprised me easy and swift I got his likeness; the drawing lessons I am doing have made a huge difference. I am drawing faster.

After years of unfinished paintings and destroying much of what I have made because it was mediocre, I have finally come to realize how prudent that was. Until just recently, after years and years of drawing, my skill when to a new level. It has taken me THAT long. Now at this point I realize this: I cannot express what I am trying to say if I do not have the proper technical skills mastered...this fact, I am totally convinced of. Then and only then will I see if I am any good at all as a painter.

Anyone can learn to draw; not everyone can breathe life into a drawing. That is my goal. Same thing is true with painting...which is next. First step is Technical Boot Camp - Cennini Form's Rob Howard held Nov 1 in Haverhill Mass.

No comments: