As a man thinketh in his heart; so is he. Proverbs 23:7

"Rejoice in the Lord alway: [and] again I say, Rejoice.

Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord [is] at hand.
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things. " -Philippians 4:4-9


Sunday, November 11, 2007

1998 Still Life



(This is not a very good quality jpeg - its very dark and pixilated and there is glare right in the middle...and it's not in sharp focus. Maybe I need new scanners and cameras. It will have to do for the moment until I can replace it with better quality.)

Ten years ago, I painted this big watercolor which is about 24"x30" D'Arches. Matter of fact it is the biggest watercolor I have ever done. I like challenges so I got as many reflective things, tectures, etc. in one painting as I could. I have dried roses and ferns, patterns and all my beautiful inherited glass. Notice the hand painted wine glass on the left (if you can see it. Now that artist could paint!) And my prized antique venitian glass.

I am hesitant to post it because I would do so many things differently now. (I tend to bash my work and pick it to death. That is why so little of my work survives the axe.) However, there are parts of this painting that do what I wanted to do -- beautiful reflections -- and that pleases me. The bottles are the best part and that makes it acceptable to me. Maybe I should have just cropped everything else out... Aargh!!!!

4 comments:

Dorothy said...

This is really nice - you've got a wide range of values, and the reflective surfaces are excellent! I do the same thing when I look at old work though. In fact right now I'm debating painting over several canvases that, just a few years ago, I was really proud of! This one is a keeper though, I think.

Does it matter? said...

Thanks Dorothy. I couldn't bear to trash this because it took soooooooo long to do and my family seem to really like it.

Maybe I'll do another version only in oil and see if I have grown a bit as an artist. This is a process that continues.........hopefully improving.

Anonymous said...

You are ambitious! I think you did a great job on this. You combined several challenging items to paint and did each of them well. One thing that is difficult for me is to paint several items in one picture and keep them from being disjointed-does that make sense? Well anyway you did keep them all together. Good Job!

Does it matter? said...

Hey Susan,
Glad to hear from you. I get so few comments it makes me paranoid. Ha.

Yep, I'm ambitious ... but I'm learning to give myself a break ... I did simplify my egg study so I am proud of myself for doing that. Thanks for your encouraging comments and graciousness.

I discovered a Cennini member right here in Edmond America ... one neighborhood over. We had coffee at Panera Bread this morning and chattered about the forum ... fun. She's great and we are going to meet next week to go on a hunt for painting subjects next week! Wish you all were here.