As a man thinketh in his heart; so is he. Proverbs 23:7

"Rejoice in the Lord alway: [and] again I say, Rejoice.

Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord [is] at hand.
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things. " -Philippians 4:4-9


Friday, December 26, 2008

New Year Art Resolutions - 2009

  1. To first straighten up my studio and make it more conducive to creating art.
  2. To prep canvases with rabbit skin glue which I have been putting off.
  3. To work with more consistency and thus be more productive each week.
  4. To learn how to paint a painting in one hour.
  5. To take a life drawing class in January.
  6. To produce 20 finished pieces of art this year: 7 still life paintings, 7 landscapes, 6 portraits/figures.
  7. To stop being so critical of myself; to pray for divine artistic inspiration; to trust that my best effort is good enough for me and the Lord.
Resolutions are nothing more than goal setting. Without goals, little can be accomplished. To accomplish this goal in 52 weeks I would have to complete 1 painting every 2.5 weeks. When you look at it in that way, it does not seem so impossible.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you can do it. :-)

Heeey if one of your goals is to complete a painting in 1 hour, all you need is 20 hours! Easy! ;-)

Re the "being so critical of myself"...remember Proverbs 23.7 (the first half of the verse) "For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he."...so read Philippians 4.4-9, note verse 8. :-)

Wishing you all the best for 2009.

Eugene

Anonymous said...

Eugene,

With all my heart, I want to be productive. I will read those verses and put them in my heart.

Thanks so much.

Patti

Anonymous said...

I see you have made some changes to the blog.

I have found it really is a matter of Will. Matthew 12.34 says "...for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh."

As Paul says in 2 Corinthians 10.5 we need to "bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ"...otherwise we get swept away with our negativity.

Stay positive.

Eugene

Oh and it is Proverbs 23.7 not proverbs 27

Does it matter? said...

Eugene,
I decided to put that passage on my blog so that I will read it every day and be remembered to work in the spiritual part of me and not in the fleshy part of me.

I have been trying to create art by my will and I am not accomplishing anything. THAT is the problem. It is not about discipline; it is about letting go.

In order to strengthen the spiritual part of me when I am painting, I need to meditate upon the Lord and enlarge His presence in me...the opposite of enlarging my flesh...if you get my drift.

Psalms 34 says "Oh come let us Magnify the Lord and He will deliver us from our fears."

One of my fears is that my work will be mediocre. That really doesn't matter; a prideful attitude.

When you posted that scripture, I knew immediately what is wrong and that is why I changed my blog. You were a God send Eugene.

Anonymous said...

I am glad I could be of some small help...


If you are painting for the Lord, to glorify Him, then to some extent it really doesn't matter what I or anyone else thinks of the work.

I know we all want to improve and paint the best we can and make something spectacular and have others rave about how good we are...but in the end if you say what you want to say in the picture and it is for the Lord, then no Praise from Man need be sought(Yeah I'm preaching to myself too. lol).

You just need to take a small look around the Internet to see the diversity of Style and substance of paintings that people are happy to publish/promote/sell...they will get the accolades and a following if enough people see it...you and I know there are some truly horrible things out there that go for millions! ;-)

Eugene

Does it matter? said...

Eugene,

re: bad art

That also drives me crazy. There is so much art that is touted as "great art" that I think is awful. AWFUL.

I keep thinking that there is something missing in me that I can't see what everyone else sees.

For instance, Lucian Freud's work. Some of it is really interesting and it is obvious that he is a good painter but some of it sinks...to me.

Or take Damien Heist's 50 million dollar scull. Some of it is nutty. I hate the pave diamond-ed skull.

It doesn't say anything to me at all.

Patti