As a man thinketh in his heart; so is he. Proverbs 23:7

"Rejoice in the Lord alway: [and] again I say, Rejoice.

Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord [is] at hand.
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things. " -Philippians 4:4-9


Friday, October 1, 2010

On finishes....

This is a great tool...your finger that is.
I've been working on finishes for my sculpture pieces that are created from stoneware clay, fired to bisque. I can't afford $1000 each to have them bronzed. Therefore, it is necessary to put a suitable finish on my portrait bust and bas relief plaques...and a skull/muscle head study.

What a chore it is to figure this out. I tried shoe polish but I didn't like the finish (it could have been how I prep-ed and applied the polish).

Undaunted, I asked the experts on finishes on the Cennini Forum and the following is the finish recipe I'm following and their advice. One is a porcelain finish; the other will be a faux metal finish using reactive paint.

On the porcelain glazed finish, unfortunately, I'm having problems with brush strokes...I don't want them. I've had to sand and take off the finish; starting all over.

Why do I use my finger for a tool instead of a brush or a sponge-brush because I cannot get the latex to lay down smooth and any brush strokes or sponge texture takes away from the piece. Thinking outside the box after adding Flortrol® and it didn't help...I just used my finger and painted; it worked nicely. Smooooooth.

This is the skull/muscle sculpted head that I seemed not to have a problem with and so I'm about two or three sets from finishing this.

This is the porcelain like finish using special warm and cool glazes (AquaCreme®/latex glazes) alternating.

Why not just put a firing glaze on the unfired clay and fire it on, you ask? Because I want more depth, more of an artistic look...at least that is what I am trying for. Not there yet....but getting there.

Reactive Paint: Faux Metal Finish
Bronze, Iron, Copper Patina Tests

Here are three test tiles I am completing in view of finishing my portrait head. These are the first base coats. I'll put the second coats on in the morning and then applie the chemicals that will turn them to an aged bronze, the copper to a blue-greenish patina and finally the iron to rust. Then I will have to decide which will be best for my piece. I'm thinking the bronze or the iron.

No comments: