As a man thinketh in his heart; so is he. Proverbs 23:7

"Rejoice in the Lord alway: [and] again I say, Rejoice.

Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord [is] at hand.
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things. " -Philippians 4:4-9


Thursday, August 2, 2007

Committing

Getting to the point to actually commit to do something radical and challenging is difficult especially when it takes one out of one's comfort zone. (It does take faith in God; faith in self is feudal and time will bear that out. I'll talk about faith in another blog.)

In my career, it was always, "Oh yes I can do that" when I had not a clue. I just had this confidence that I could do just about anything in advertising graphics if I put my mind to it and that bore true over 30 years in the business.

Since I had to teach myself just about everything, I read lots of books and asked lots of questions and just plain figured it out. I was and am a very good problem solver.

Growing up my mom was a "can do" kind of parent. "Everyone puts their pants on one leg at a time" and "No one has the right to play god." I really did believe that. I know my intellectual limits. I would never go into science or math projects but come to think of it, I did write a lot of scientific copy (out of necessity) for my clients on such things as Asphalt Slurry manufacturing process once. The engineer read my copy and threw it down on his desk and said, "When you said you would write the technical copy, frankly, I really didn't think you could possibly do it but you did and it is very clear." I told him the reason is that if I couldn't understand the process, neither could your market. I got a very nice account as a result.

Then there was USA Airifix toy manufacturer. "Can you air-brush?" "Oh sure," I said. What I didn't tell him was how little experience air-brushing I really had. So I got a good air-brush, a manual, and produced a bunch of packaging for their toy products flying by the seat of my pants for which my client was very pleased and thus I learned how to air-brush. "Can you produce a multi-media six projector slide presentation?" Oh sure, I thought it takes a script some visual slides and a good story board. So I did my first one with six projectors which turned out to be so successful it was transferred to film for the sales force. "Can you shoot us some commercials?" Sure. On and on my whole career flying by the seat of my pants teaching myself. Now, had I really had a good strong education and training maybe I would have done something significant by now in the world. (Now this all sounds big but the only person it was "big" to was me. Hope no one will take this as bragging for I really have nothing to brag about. However, I've always performed above my true ability which I give God the credit for. He has been gracious to me.)

I'm older now and not so anxious to take on big projects. Experience makes you wiser and less of a risk taker and the older you get the less opportunity presents itself. For the first time in a long time I have an opportunity.

However, I made a move today that was very difficult for me. I committed to change. It is probably the most challenging move I have ever made. ("No guts no glory"...I keep telling myself.) I always wanted to go into the professional fine artist arena but in this case self-training can't get me there. Just drawing well won't get me there.

Now is the time to see if this is the direction for the rest of my life and the smartest thing I've realized that I have to have help.

I've committed to attend an artist technical boot camp in November in Boston organized and taught by a master artist (Rob Howard) who is phenominal in his knowlege and work (see link below). He is a consumate professional trained in the classical tradition of the old masters. I am confident that he knows what he is doing which is the requisite of a master art teacher.

There are three boot camps for artists -- Technical Boot Camp, Artists Boot Camp, Portrait Boot Camp. Lord willing I plan to go to all three. (If I can hack it.) Artists who have attended rave about these workshops.

It is do or die for me. . . as an artist. So I am putting my ego in the garbage can (good place for it), and mustering all the courage I can, but I am going to go and do the best I can. Fear and nervousness are not usually part of my personality but I am feeling it now.

I shall walk in faith and trust and go for it. It is not faith in self or tursting self; rather I am faith-ing and trusting One who is in charge of my life.

As I go along, I will blog my progress.

To see the work of Rob Howard go to:
http://forums.studioproducts.com/showthread.php?t=25788&highlight=%22rob%27s+paintings%22

No comments: