As a man thinketh in his heart; so is he. Proverbs 23:7

"Rejoice in the Lord alway: [and] again I say, Rejoice.

Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord [is] at hand.
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things. " -Philippians 4:4-9


Monday, August 13, 2007

HOW TO?



Painting: Franco-Flemish School (Early 15th Century) - Profile Portrait of a Lady

The black and white pencil sketch (below) is a study of this painting examining the edges and tones of the lady's face.


So far, scanning seems to be the best method though not as good as I would like.

Unfortunately, the scanner recorded the skin tones rather coarsely. The digital versions are unacceptable so far. When trying to adjust this in photoshop, if I lighten or soften the highlights, the dark values wash out and then all of the fine skin tones are lost.

I also have problems photographing my paintings in color; they go dark and when I lighten them in photoshop it never looks like the original painting.

I need to be able to make good digital black/white and color photos. What am I doing wrong? My photography is usually exceptional.

Can anyone offer some help?

1 comment:

Does it matter? said...

Okay. I have learned something about anatomy. The neck is never vertical to the ground. He always is on a light angle into the collar bone.

So I copied an artist's masterpiece correctly...but anatomically incorrect.

Well, I'm not oing to re draw this for I copied it correctly ... NOT.

Confusing.

PD