As a man thinketh in his heart; so is he. Proverbs 23:7

"Rejoice in the Lord alway: [and] again I say, Rejoice.

Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord [is] at hand.
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things. " -Philippians 4:4-9


Friday, August 3, 2007

Starting Over



Today I am starting a painting over for the third time. I've been fighting this hoping that I could salvage this stupid bluebonnet painting but I simply do not know what to do and the advice I got sort of nailed it for me because there is nothing you can do with a poorly conceived painting.

Today, however, after accepting what I knew in my heart, I am sort of getting a new energy. I have a challenge. Can a produce a bluebonnet painting that is actually a good piece of art and not a typical amateurish picturesque effort? Now I like that challenge. We shall see.

What would a professional do? First stat with a good plan, research, sketch, work-out the tones, temperature, composition, finalize the plan, and execute. I didn't do that on the previous attempts. I tried to work from memory and that usually never works for me. Anything I can see, I can successfully draw. To be honest, I didn't want to put the work into it. That thinking is now no longer allowed in my brain.

In fact, I'm wasting time trying to fix a bunch of old unfinished ill-conceived paintings in my studio. It's time to get the gesso out. Now I am on the right track!!!

Wow, that is almost theropeutic.

No comments: